Tecopa Hot Springs
Originally Tecopa Hot Springs (called Yaga then) was the largest Native settlement in the region because of its natural hot springs, wildlife and wetlands, and proximity to the trading routes that became known as the Old Spanish Trail. A series of hard-rock mining camps in the late 1800s were named Tecopa after a Paiute leader who was famous for negotiating peace during those rough and tumble days. In 1908, the Tonopah and Tidewater Railroad built the Tecopa station, running through the spectacular Amargosa Canyon. Today’s traveler can take advantage of pristine desert landscapes, vivid sunsets, and Tecopa Hot Springs’ healing mineral waters at three different resorts with private baths and campgrounds with full hook-up RV spaces, the Poo-Ha-Bah Native Healing Center, or the Inyo County campground, with separate bath houses for men and women. The area blossoms with winter travelers during temperate months. Other amenities include massage services, Pastels Bistro, the Tecopa Basin Artist Gallery (both at the historic Tecopa Hot Springs Resort), an international hostel, post office, elementary school, and a variety of small shops.
In spring and fall, vast flocks of migratory birds take advantage of the marshes and surrounding canyons, particularly Grimshaw Lake, a great birding locale and protected wetland. Spring wildflower viewing, photography, bicycling, gliding, and hiking in the Kingston, Tecopa, Ibex and Sheepshead mountains are also excellent activities