The Charcoal Kilns were built in 1875 to convert the local pinyon pines into charcoal for silver smelters to the West. Each of these cone shaped buildings is about 25 feet tall and 30 feet in diameter. Local stone was use to make these marvels of engineering. At six thousand feet, this is a great place to escape the hot days of the Death Valley summer.
Follow Highway 190 past Stovepipe Wells to Emigrant Canyon Road, it is about 20 miles to the Wildrose turn off and after that another 9 miles to the Charcoal Kilns.